In a nutshell, a landing page is any page on your website where visitors can arrive, or land. More specifically, in marketing terms, a landing page is a web page created for a specific purpose, which isn’t integrated into the rest of your website. It’s not accessed via your website’s navigation — a visitor arrives via special invitation, such as a link in an email or social media post.
Landing pages are used to encourage visitors to take a specific action, rather than learn all about your organization or business. They’re often used to promote a sale, get visitors to sign up for something, attend an event, or donate money, for example.
Now, considering all the time that most enterprises put into developing a site, why would you want to go to the trouble of designing something different?
The answer is simple: to increase conversions — the all-important ratio that expresses the number of visitors to your site versus the number who take action, such as sign up for your newsletter or make a purchase.
Creating a dedicated landing page enables you to focus all your energy on one targeted action. Take for example, increasing your email list. It’s not as easy as it used to be to get potential customers to share their contact information. A landing page can provide an opportunity for you to provide something in exchange for contact information:
- newsletter subscriptions
- free trial or demo of your service
- e-book or article
- contest or giveaway entries
What goes into an effective landing page? First of all, remember to keep a laser-tight focus on your target action! You’ll also want to include:
- A catchy headline: especially if it’s linked to an email campaign, make sure the headline and email subject are consistent.
- One or two compelling, eye-grabbing images. Make them large enough to be clear, but not so big that they move text around and necessitate extra scrolling.
- Clear focus: yes, we just said that, but really, we can’t say it too much! Resist the urge to provide lots of options or other information!
- An appealing call to action: make sure it’s obvious and easy for visitors to accomplish!
- Mobile responsiveness: remember, many of your visitors may be accessing your landing page via a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet. Make sure that your landing page loads and appears properly across all devices!
If you’d like to know more about creating an effective landing page, contact Sanmita today. From mobile responsiveness, to content creation, to social media marketing, Sanmita can help you get your landing page campaign off the ground!